Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Freedom!

Ahhhh, summertime!  For many adults, the change in season means a little less daily stress.  Parents get a welcomed-break from packing lunches, shuttling kids to school and weekly events, not to mention a break from the demands of school life in general.  Families get a chance to let loose and hang out.  Vacations get taken.  New games get learned and played to pieces. Let's face it.  Memories are made of days like these.
Yes, most parents do look forward to summer break, but others of us anticipate the break much more.  I'm talking about the teachers.  Being a homeschool mom, I do enjoy the huge break that my daily routine takes with summer.  For our family,  the season offers a whole new kind of learning from fun projects to plenty of time to read and visit with friends and family. 
For myself (and other adults off in the summer), I take the chance to relax a bit more.  I admit it I get to hold on to a bit of childhood.  After all, someone has to keep the summer rolling and the kids entertained.  Swimming, fishing, biking, fun projects, keeping up with buddies...as a Mom who is home for the summer, I get to enjoy these things with my kids.  We all get to sleep in a bit, or get up super early to catch some great event.  The freedom is there in the summer.
Read an entire book in one day.  Spend the afternoon playing cards with the kids, or maybe spending the afternoon cleaning up after all the kids at your house for the day.  It's okay.  You've got time.
I wish I could bottle the relaxed atmosphere of summer.  Keep it on a shelf and sprinkle it throughout those hectic "school days".  Do we have to stay so keyed up for nine months out of the year?  I wonder if we could accomplish all that needs done in a year if we "toned it down a bit".  The idea has merit.  When the winter doldrums hit or the hectic fall schedule has you pulling out your hair; take a deep breath, sip a glass of lemonade, and sit down to a game of cards with the kids.  I'd bet we'd feel re-energized after just a taste of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment